|By 2030, public transportation will help reduce need of individual vehicles
At the meeting, 91% of the deputies approved the project titled “Strengthening the management of road vehicles to reduce traffic congestion and environmental pollution in Hanoi in the 2017-2020 period with a vision towards 2030.” Accordingly, no motorcycles will be allowed while automobiles will be restricted in the inner city from 2030.
“Traffic in Hanoi – A small cake that feeds too many parties”
This is a topic of great importance, which has received special attention from the people. Deputy Nguyen Tien Minh from Thuong Tin district said that, in the next 13 years, Hanoi will strive to achieve many goals set by the project and hopefully by 2030 the capital’s traffic infrastructure will have been improved and more traffic routes or urban railway lines will have been built.
“If the individual vehicle management scheme is successfully implemented, the transport infrastructure of Hanoi will be improved;there will be more railway or BRT (bus rapid transit) routes. Provided that all the capital dwellers may have access to railway stations, the majority of them will choose means of public transport and the need to use motorcycles will reduce. Then, hopefully people will walk more;it’s a good habit,” said Minh.
Another deputy said that the project was well prepared. The six solution groups and 45 measures proposed in the project are in line with the real current conditions of the capital. If it is delayed, the whole capital will become a giant mobile parking lot.
According to Deputy Pham Dinh Doan from Hoang Mai district,traffic congestion requires both hard and soft solutions, such as adjustment of working and school hours.However, it is just for the short-term. Regarding the proposal to ban motorcycles by 2030, the city is in need of urgent solutions, such as the construction of a public transport system, right from now.
80% of city dwellers can reach public transport stops within the distance of 500 m
Director of Hanoi's Municipal Department of Transport Vu Van Vien said,by 2030, Hanoi will have managed to ensure smooth traffic connection. He added that Hanoi will strive to achieve the goal that in the inner city, 80% of the people may reach public transportation stops within the distance of 500 meters or shorter. The remaining 20% will have to walk a bit farther or go by bike, but the length will be less than 1 km.
According to the project, Hanoi will ban motorcycles in inner districts in 2030, collect and classify motorcycles’ statistics in terms of localities and dates of registration and types of motorcycles. The authorities will also manage to restrict the use of motorcycles in line with the infrastructure and service capacity of the public transport system.By Duy Tien