ASEAN Foreign Ministers have issued a statement on the collapse of the Sepien-Senamnoi hydropower dam in the Lao province of Attapeu.
|Lao residents are evacuated from flooded areas in Attapeu province
ASEAN member states are saddened by the loss of lives and extensive damage to property caused by flash floods triggered by the collapse of the saddle dam of the Sepien-Senamnoi hydropower project in Attapeu province on July 23 due to heavy rains, said the statement. ASEAN extends its deepest sympathies to those affected.
ASEAN affirms its solidarity with the Government and people of Laos in this difficult time, and stands ready to support the flood relief efforts, including through the ongoing work of the ASEAN Coordinating Centre for Humanitarian Assistance on disaster management (AHA Centre), according to the statement.
On July 31, representatives of Military Corp 11 under Vietnam’s Ministry of National Defence handed over VND1 billion (US$43,200) to the Lao Ministry of Labour and Social Welfare to support local residents affected by the dam collapse.
Earlier, Military Corp 15 provided 10 million LAK (US$1,250) to assist the victims. Meanwhile, 200 people in the affected areas were given free medical examinations.
The Vietnamese Government has so far donated US$200,000 sourced from State budget reserves and 100 tonnes of rice to the Lao Government in order to help the neighbouring country overcome the aftermath of the collapse.
The Sepien-Senamnoi hydropower dam collapsed at 8:00pm on July 23, causing flash floods that completely isolated Sanamxay district.
Lao Prime Minister Thongloun Sisoulith said at a press conference on July 25 that the dam break ravaged 13 villages and affected six others, adding that 587 families with 3,060 people were made homeless, while 131 people were reported missing.
Lao authorities confirmed that no Vietnamese citizens were reported missing after the disaster. Some 15 households of Vietnamese citizens living in flooded area were evacuated to safety. VNA